|1||Panthers||W 24 - 10||1||1|
|2||Packers||W 25 - 24||1||1|
|3||@Lions||L 6 - 20||1||1|
|4||@Jaguars||L 7 - 23||1||1|
|5||Texans||W 21 - 19||1||1|
|6||Commanders||L 16 - 24||1||1|
|7||@Buccaneers||W 16 - 13||1||1|
|8||@Titans||L 23 - 28||1||1|
|9||Vikings||L 28 - 31||1||1|
|10||@Cardinals||L 23 - 25||1||1|
|12||Saints||W 24 - 15||1||1|
|13||@Jets||W 13 - 8||1||1|
|14||Buccaneers||L 25 - 29||1||1|
Offensive Line Career
- Started all 17 games at left tackle.
- Helped the Falcons rush for the second-most yards in a single season in franchise history (2,718 yards).
- Paved the way for rookie Tyler Allgeier to set the rookie rushing record with 1,035 yards, breaking the previous record set in 1979 by William Andrews.
- Blocked for an offense that rushed for more than 100 yards in 15 consecutive games for the third time in franchise history, and the first time since 2005.
- In seven seasons, has started all 144 games that he has played in, tied with 2022 Falcons' Ring of Honor Inductee Todd McClure (2001-2010) for the second-longest streak of games started in team history.
- Has started 144 consecutive games at left tackle, the longest active streak in the NFL.
- Started all 16 games at left tackle in 2020.
- Started all 16 games at left tackle in 2019.
- Started at left tackle all 16 games in 2018, blocking for an offense that averaged 389.1 yards and 6.16 yards per play, the sixth-best mark in the NFL.
- Named to his first Pro Bowl (2018) as a replacement for Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams.
- In 2017, blocked for an offense that has averaged 364.8 yards and 5.93 yards per play, the third-best mark in the NFL.
- Started at left tackle and blocked for an offense that totaled 322 yards, including 124 on the ground, in a 26-13 Wild-Card win over the Los Angeles Rams.
- Started all 16 games at left tackle, blocking for an offense that set a franchise record with 540 points and averaged 415.8 yards per game in 2016.
- Started at left tackle and blocked for an offense that set a franchise record with 571 total yards against Carolina (10/2/16).
- Protected QB Matt Ryan as he became the 19th player in NFL history to throw for 500+ yards in a single game.
- Started all 16 games at left tackle and blocked for an offense that ranked seventh in the NFL averaging 374.1 yards per game in 2015. Protected Matt Ryan's blindside as the quarterback became one of four passers to throw for 4,000 yards in each of the last five seasons.
- Started 15 games at left tackle during his rookie season in 2014, and blocked for an offense that broke several franchise records.
- Started at left tackle and helped block for an offense that generated a franchise record 548 yards of total offense vs. New Orleans (9/7/14).
- Started at left tackle and helped block for an offense that scored 56 points (2nd most in franchise history) and recorded 488 total yards vs Tampa Bay (9/18/14).
- Appeared in 52 games for Texas A&M, starting his final 46 contests, the first 33 at right tackle and the final 13 on the left side.
- As a senior, was a consensus All-American and a unanimous All-Southeastern Conference first-team selection. He was recipient of the Bobby Bowden Award, presented for high performance on the field, in class and in the community.
- In 2012, earned first-team All-American honors from The NFL Draft Report and the Football Writers of America Association, adding second-team accolades from the Walter Camp Football Foundation and third-team recognition from the Associated Press.
- As a sophomore, quickly developed into the cornerstone of the Aggies' offensive front that allowed just nine sacks in 13 games and set then-school records for total offense (seventh in the nation at 490.2 ypg), passing (291.1 ypg) and scoring (11th nationally at 39.08 ppg) offense. The sophomore delivered 13 touchdown-resulting blocks and 96 key blocks/knockdowns while helping the Aggies rush for 199.2 yard per game.
- In 2011, was named to ESPN.com's All-Big 12 Conference Freshman team and was an honorable mention All-Big 12 pick. He was one of 10 freshman to letter for the Aggies, starting the final seven games of the season.
- Matthews is the next to carry on the family NFL tradition. He is the fourth family member to be selected in the first round of the draft and the seventh to reach the National Football League.
- Matthews' NFL linage began with Clay Matthews Sr., who played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950's. His father, Bruce Matthews, was a 14-time Pro Bowl selection and Green Bay Packers LB Clay Matthews III is his cousin.
- Attended Elkins High School in Missouri City, Texas. Was named first-team all-district and all-greater Houston honoree. Matthews also had offers from Oklahoma, Alabama, Arkansas, Oregon, Texas, Texas Tech, USC and Stanford.
- Was a consensus All-American selection in high school. Earned a five-star rating from Scout.com, as that recruiting service regarded him as the best offensive guard in the nation.
- Rated as the seventh-best offensive tackle in the prep ranks, placed 48th on the Rivals100 team while also being named the eighth-best overall prospect in the state of Texas by Rivals.com.
- A university studies major in the Mays Business School at Texas A&M.
- Son of Carrie and Bruce Matthews. *
Falcons sign offensive lineman Josh Miles to a one-year deal
The offensive tackle has played in 17 games for the Arizona Cardinals since 2019.
Bair Mail: On Jake Matthews, Lamar Jackson, tagging Kaleb McGary (or not) and finding Desmond Ridder a backup
We discuss all that and more in this Friday mailbag
A look back at the Falcons best surprise of 2022: The offensive line -- Falcons breakdown
Anchored by Chris Lindstrom, the Falcons offensive line saw exponential growth in 2022. Can that success continue into 2023?
Nerdy Birds: A look at how 2022 Falcons compare to teams of the past
While the Falcons have had an up-and-down season in 2022, they have shown promise throughout the year. This season marks the first time in franchise history that the Falcons have had rookies as their leading rusher and leading receiver.
Inside Tori's Notebook: The one word that kept coming up after loss to Washington Commanders
When does "unfortunate" become "unacceptable?"
'It was incredible, very emotional': Jake Matthews on a whirlwind day and the birth of his newborn son
Jake and Meggi Matthews welcome their newborn son ahead of Thursday Night Football game
Falcons Inactives: Jake Matthews game status updated after birth of first child
Atlanta releases inactives ahead of Thursday Night Football matchup with Carolina Panthers.
Falcons Daily: What has led to a consistent, productive run game in Atlanta?
Statistically, the Falcons are a top-5 running offense in the NFL. Players and coaches say this productivity stemmed from an intention that was set long ago.
Bair: 'Every game matters': Missed opportunity vs. Chargers hurts Falcons' NFC South quest
Atlanta must do better in winnable games down stretch if they're to win their division
Falcons Daily: Analyzing potential offensive line shakeup ahead of Week 9 face off vs. Chargers
Elijah Wilkinson has been ruled out of Sunday's game. Who slots into his spot at left guard?
Bair: What Falcons currently sitting atop NFC South means, what's required in quest to stay there
Atlanta moved a game up in the division after Sunday's 37-34 overtime win against Carolina Panthers
"It broke our way": Inside Falcons wild and wacky overtime win vs. Carolina Panthers
Falcons players and coaches reflect on a 37-34 win that definitely wasn't pretty, but it was a win nonetheless. And for that, the Falcons are thankful.
Bair: What victory over 49ers, and Falcons reaction to it, says about Arthur Smith's squad
This unit has commanded respect, playing better than the sum of its parts
Falcons Daily: 'You want to be the aggressor': How the offensive line has Falcons running strong
Falcons rank No. 2 in yards per carry before contact, No. 3 in rushing yards per game
Bair: Fighting Falcons must do more early to avoid bitter ends
Falcons plays say team must start faster 'to keep us from having to fight for our lives at the end.'
Falcons Daily: Inside the rejuvenation of Atlanta's run game
At the end of the 2021 regular season, the Falcons had one of the worst rushing performances (statistically) in the league. Four games into 2022, and that is no longer the case.
'It puts things in perspective': Falcons players clean up Atlanta park in annual Hometown Huddle event
Jake Matthews, Kyle Pitts and Marcus Mariota join season ticket members, volunteers in Anderson Park clean-up project
Nerdy Birds: The offensive line sets the tone, Cordarrelle Patterson's hot start, and Marcus Mariota breaks out
This week's matchup is about as rare as it gets in the NFL with the teams meeting just 15 times since 1966 and just five times since re-alignment in 2002.
Tori's Takeaways: Weight of red zone inefficiencies continues to hold Falcons back in loss to Los Angeles Rams
The Falcons went 3-for-10 on third down and 50 percent in the red zone. If either of these stat lines shake out differently, perhaps the final score is different, too.
Nerdy Birds: How Cordarrelle Patterson, the offensive line, and pass rush will impact the Rams game
Matt and John highlight the stats-based storylines you need to know about heading into each contest
Bair: 'Don't let it define us' must be Falcons mantra rebounding after loss to Saints
Cordarrelle Patterson, Rashaan Evans, Grady Jarrett and Falcons leadership committed to moving on quickly from defeat in season opener
Falcons announce captains for 2022 season
Grady Jarrett, Marcus Mariota, A.J. Terrell lead the charge.
Nerdy Birds: Marcus Mariota, A.J. Terrell, Jake Matthews, and key stats for Week 1 clash with Saints
Falcons are 7-1 vs. New Orleans in regular-season openers
Positional breakdown: Recent additions set to push 2021 offensive line starters during 2022 training camp
Jake Matthews' and Chris Lindstrom's spots seem to be secured. Everyone else? They'll have to fight for their spots.
Jake Matthews discusses the birth of his son on a game day, coming from football royalty | Falcons in Focus
Falcons left tackle Jake Matthews joins Scott Bair and Tori McElhaney to detail the wild journey to be present for the birth of his son and the Falcons game at Carolina on the same day, explaining how it all happened and how special the day was for him and his wife, Meggi. Then we go back in time to discuss being part of football royalty in the Matthews clan, including what his father Bruce Matthews' advice has meant to him as a kid and throughout a long and prosperous career.
Jake Matthews: We just need to 'fix the little things' | Press conference
Falcons veteran tackle Jake Matthews speaks to the media following Atlanta's loss to the Washington Commanders.
Jake Matthews speaks on 'accountability' | Press Conference
Jake Matthews speaks to the media about accountability.
Jake Matthews looks forward to playing against a tough 49ers defense
Offensive lineman Jake Matthews speaks to the media ahead of the week six game against the San Francisco 49ers
Jake Matthews: 'being on the same page' | Press Conference | Falcons vs. Buccaneers
Jake Matthews speaks to the media about being on the same page.
Jake Matthews speaks on getting comfortable with each other | Press Conference
Jake Matthews speaks to the media about getting comfortable with each other.
Jake Matthews on preparations for the Seahawks: 'We've got a good plan' | Press conference
Offensive Tackle Jake Matthews speaks to the media after practice ahead of the week 3 matchup against the Seahawks.
Jake Matthews: 'capitalizing more' | Press Conference
Jake Matthews speaks to the media about capitalizing more.
Jake Matthews on working with Mariota and new teammates during first day of OTAs | Press conference
Falcons veteran Offensive Tackle Jake Matthews speaks to the media on the first day of OTAs.
Breaking down Cordarrelle Patterson's big run | Film Review
D.J. Shockley breaks down the Falcons defense's third down stop and Cordarrelle Patterson's big run in the first quarter.
'The point of the game is to win' | Jake Matthews Presser
Jake Matthews on facing the Cowboys this Sunday, how anyone can win on any given Sunday in the NFL, and how the team is building towards a winning culture.
'With a guy like Rid, he's just unique' | Arthur Smith press conference
Coach Smith speaks to the media about what makes Calvin Ridley special, having Russell Gage back in the lineup, and his approach to this weekend's divisional game with the Panthers.
Jalen Mayfield post practice press conference
Rookie offensive lineman Jalen Mayfield speaks to the media about his progression during his first three NFL games.
Jake Matthews speaks to the media after day eight of AT&T Training Camp
Falcons offensive tackle Jake Matthews spoke the the media about getting acquainted to the new staff, Matt Hennessy's development, his advice for rookie Jalen Mayfield, and more.
Jake Matthews: Postgame Press Conference | Week 11 vs. New Orleans Saints
Falcons tackle Jake Matthews talks with the media about the loss in week 11 to the New Orleans Saints.
Jake Matthews on the offensive line: 'We've grown so much'
Jake Matthews on the growth of the offensive line, his high praise for Todd Gurley, and his expectations on playing without any fans.
Veteran players share their insight on being a successful teammate | Building for 2020
Veteran players and mentors share their insight for the younger guys on Building for 2020 presented by The Home Depot.
Jake Matthews talks virtual offseason program, additions of Gurley, Hennessy
Jake Matthews spoke to the media Thursday and broke down how the virtual offseason has gone so far and discussed his thoughts on the additions of Todd Gurley and Matt Hennessy.
Falcons' players share feedback on season
Hear what the players have to say about the outcome of this season.
Offensive Line of the Week: Atlanta Falcons
The Atlanta Falcons offensive line's dominant performance resulted in the unit taking the "Built Ford Tough Offensive Line of the Week" award for Week 2.
What does OL Jake Matthews' extension mean for Falcons' future success?
NFL Network's Patrick Claybon, Shaun O'Hara, and LaDainian Tomlinson report on Atlanta Falcons tackle Jake Matthews' 5-year contract extension.