The Falcons added to their string of preseason losses, following a 19-7 loss against the Washington Redskins. The Falcons are now 0-13 for preseason play since their last win back in 2016. Although the game resulted in a loss, there were some major takeaways from Thursday's exhibition game.
Takk McKinley's fumble recovery lead to Falcons touchdown in first half
In the first half of the Falcons-Redskins exhibition game, the defense took it upon themselves to create that spark the team needed early.
With 8:55 left in the second quarter, Falcons defensive tackle Deadrin Senat came up with the strip-sack on Redskins quarterback Case Keenum. Defensive end Takk McKinley was counted for the fumble recovery and had a 17-yard return to the goal line that set up running back Ito Smith for the touchdown. To watch the highlight play from the first half, click here
Giorgio Tavecchio discusses preseason performance following Falcons-Redskins exhibition game
Falcons kicker Giorgio Tavecchio is currently 4 of 8 for the preseason in field goal makes and attempts. In the game, Tavecchio missed a 39-yard field goal in the first quarter, but nailed his extra point field goal after Ito Smith's 5-yard touchdown in the second quarter.
In the offseason, the Falcons declined Matt Bryant's player option. Bryant is the current leading scorer in franchise history and had set the team's single-season record for points back in 2016. For more coverage on Tavecchio performance, click here
Matt Gono emerging as another option for Falcons at the tackle position
Offensive lineman Matt Gono made his first career start with the Falcons after offensive tackle Ty Sambrailo was ruled out for Thursday's game. Gono had a decent performance and is currently emerging as another option at the tackle spot.
Atlanta kept Gono on the active roster throughout 2018 as he became one of the key developing players on the practice squad. For more coverage on Gono's preseason performances, click here
Other notable performances:
- Linebacker Duke Riley had a strong performance against the Redskins as he came away with a few successful plays. Riley finished the game recording 6 tackles and made a big play on second and goal, standing up running back Darius Guise for the stop.
- Second year defensive tackle Deadrin Senat made a highlight play in the second quarter of the game. Senat finished with a strip-sack that led to a touchdown and recorded three tackles against the Redskins.
- Safety Keanu Neal had another solid outing as well. Neal finished the game with four tackles made. In the Falcons-Dolphins preseason game Neal racked in five tackles before being subbed out at halftime.
- Rookie linebacker Del'Shawn Phillips played up to par in the second half. Phillips recorded five tackles versus the Redskins. He also reeled in five tackles in the Falcons-Dolphins exhibition game.
- Chris Cooper's performance also stood out amongst the defense. In the game, Cooper finished with four tackles for the night.
For those who want further analysis of Thursday's preseason game between the Falcons and Redskins, check out an archive of our live blog, below.