FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today signed free agent cornerback Dunta (pronounced Dontay) Robinson, a six-year veteran who has spent his entire NFL tenure with the Houston Texans.
In 84 career games (79 starts), Robinson has totaled 382 tackles (310 solo), 13 interceptions, 63 passes defensed, four sacks, six forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
Known as an aggressive and speedy cornerback, Robinson leaves Houston as the team's all-time leader in interceptions and passes defensed. He also posted a streak of 57 consecutive starts from 2004-07. Robinson burst on to the NFL scene in his rookie year of 2004 and led the secondary in tackles (85) while adding a career-high six interceptions and three forced fumbles. For his success, he was named the 2004 Pro Football Weekly Defensive Rookie of the Year and the 2004 Touchdown Club Rookie of the Year.
The following year, Robinson enjoyed similar success starting in all 16 games while finishing with a career-high 93 tackles. He was awarded the Mickey Herskowitz Award that season, which is given to one member of the each NFL team deemed as the most media-friendly player.
Over the next four seasons (2006-09), Robinson has recorded 155 tackles (49 in 2009) while adding six interceptions, 30 passes defensed and one forced fumble. He also returned an interception nine yards for his first career touchdown against Buffalo in 2006.
Robinson is a native of Athens, Georgia and was a three-year starter at defensive back, running back and wide receiver at Clarke Central High School. He graduated as the school's record holder for interceptions (17) as he also rushed for six touchdowns and ran back a punt and kickoff return for TDs. At the University of South Carolina, Robinson competed in 42 career games and posted 114 career tackles, five interceptions and 22 passes defensed. He was named the team's Defensive Most Valuable Player as a senior.
- THOMAS DIMITROFF:GM talks free agency after season | Combine
- MIKE SMITH:Head Coach talks free agency after season | Combine
RELATED NEWS UPDATES:
- FREE AGENCY HOME: More information on the Falcons 2010 free agents
- NFL Q&A:Commonly asked questions about the CBA and free agency
- QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:More on free agency in this FAQ
- LABOR NEWS:Updates on NFL labor at NFLLabor.com
- NFL.COM:Free agency news from NFL.com
- TRANSACTIONS: Click here for a list of Falcons official transactions from 2001 to present
- IMPORTANT DATES:Key days in the 2010 NFL Offseason