Skip to main content

Second Half Silence


Sack Attack

One of the things the Falcons needed to do against the Packers was put pressure on quarterback Aaron Rodgers. They took it one better. After not recording a sack in three straight games, the Falcons defense came out and started a party in Green Bay's backfield with Rodgers as the guest of honor. Rodgers was sacked four times — once by Sean Weatherspoon, another by Lawrence Sidbury, once more by Corey Peters and Ray Edwards added his first as a Falcon. The defensive line brought it Sunday night and ended a sackless streak that Falcons fans wanted to see come to a quick close.

Red Zone Defense

The Falcons came into Sunday's game wanting to limit the number of scoring chances the Packers offense had, and they did just that in the first half. Green Bay was kept out of the end zone in the first half — a feat in and of itself — and the Falcons held the Packers to just three points in each of their trips deep inside Falcons territory to come away with just six points as opposed to possibly 14.

Halftime Woes

We saw it last season, and it looks like it's continuing into 2012. The Falcons start out hot in the first half and then struggle in the second half, particularly in the third quarter. The Falcons came out Sunday night against the Packers and played about as good as they have all season for the first two quarters, taking a 14-6 lead into halftime. After the break, the wheels began to fall off as Green Bay scored 22 unanswered points to slow any momentum the Falcons had left.

Turnovers Continue

The Falcons defense continues its amazing trend of causing turnovers. They caused yet another when Green Bay running back Ryan Grant coughed one up thanks to cornerback Brent Grimes. Weatherspoon fell on it and the Falcons kept the NFL's longest current streak of games with a caused turnover alive. The Falcons have now caused a turnover in 24 straight games.

Big Plays Resurface

The Packers got things rolling in a big way with a big play in the second half. Rodgers had been held at bay for the entire first half and a portion of the second when he struck. He hit wide receiver James Jones for a deep 70-yard catch and run that put the Packers in the lead for the first time all game. The Falcons were never able to recover.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content