The Atlanta Falcons are pleased to announce the 2011-2012 First Down for Fitness Teacher of the Year Winners.
The Falcons First Down for Fitness Program, in its sixth year, is a three month program designed to challenge third through seventh grade students in the state of Georgia to participate in fitness activities, eat healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle. The program incorporates components of the NFL's Play 60 program, the American Heart Association and the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association's (SUDIA) Fuel Up to Play 60 nutrition program.
The winners are:
- George Adkins, River Ridge Elementary School – Evans, GA
- Dana Griffith, Berkmar Middle School – Lilburn, GA
- Joe Levan, Chatham Academy – Savannah, GA
- Merry Watkins, Hampton Elementary School – Hampton, GA
- Keisha Williams, South Mitchell County Elementary School – Camilla, GA The winners were selected from 191 teachers in the Falcons First Down for Fitness program for their commitment and dedication to finding unique ways to ensure their students engage in physical activity for 60 minutes, five days a week and maintain healthy eating habits. Each winner will receive a $1,000 fitness equipment grant and work with Good Sports to select their items.
"Ensuring that kids get physical activity every day is crucial to their healthy physical and emotional development," Good Sports CEO Melissa Harper said. "Good Sports is proud to partner with the Atlanta Falcons to equip these amazing teachers with the gear they need to make that possible."