FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Falcons are bringing veteran leadership back to the defensive front by re-signing edge rusher Lorenzo Carter to a two-year deal, the organization announced on Tuesday.
- C.J. Stroud, Anthony Richardson talk Falcons, formal interviews at 2023 NFL Combine
- The art of the interview: Terry Fontenot provides a look inside inside the Falcons formal interview process at the 2023 NFL combine
- Bair Mail: On Desmond Ridder, Iowa State's Will McDonald IV, and trading back in the NFL Draft
- Draft analysis: Could the Falcons' play at No. 8 be to take a cornerback like Christian Gonzalez, Joey Porter?
- Why Lukas Van Ness, Myles Murphy, Tyree Wilson could be great options for Falcons at No. 8 overall in 2023 NFL Draft
Carter started all 17 games games last season. He finished the year notching a single-season-career-high 58 total tackles, 12 quarterback hits, six tackles for loss, 4.0 sacks, two passes defensed, one fumble recovery and one interception returned for a touchdown.
In Week 2 against the Los Angeles Rams, Carter scored his first career touchdown off of a blocked punt. He got a second one later in the year off a pick six against Carolina. The veteran was a solid addition to the defensive front in 2022, adding depth and leadership to a young group of edge rushers. While the Falcons brought Carter back and still have 2022 draft picks Arnold Ebiketie and DeAngelo Malone under contract, it's still probable the Falcons add to their edge rushers in free agency, the NFL draft or both.
Prior to signing with the Falcons in 2022, Carter played four seasons with the New York Giants. On Tuesday, he officially signed his return engagement with the Falcons.