Each day of 2012 Russell Athletic Atlanta Falcons Training Camp, we'll take a look ahead at the day of practices and break down the storylines and things you need to know as a fan, including position battles, players to keep an eye on and information on what the Falcons are up to.
Here are today's top things to keep an eye on:
- The Falcons continue 2012 camp with an afternoon practice session, scheduled to run from 3:30-5:50 p.m. The session is open to the public and the Falcons will continue to build on the moment from the first day of camp. Thursday afternoon featured a spirited practice with a good level of intensity and should be the same as the Falcons head into the weekend.
- If you keep an eye on one player and only one player during camp, do yourself a favor and make it new cornerback Asante Samuel. The veteran is boisterous, highly vocal and wildly entertaining. He plays with a high amount of passion and it's easy to see what's been the key to his success over the years: practicing like he plays. I don't envision there being too much of a departure from the Samuel we see during camp and the Samuel we get on Sundays.
- An overlooked pair, linebackers Robert James and Spencer Adkins saw their fair share of action Thursday, working in with a variety of personnel combinations. Adkins, of course, saw the field a good amount at the end of the 2011 season filling in for an injured Stephen Nicholas, but James has been a bit of a question mark as he's lingered on the practice squad. With the road much more open these days, could a spot on the 53-man roster be in the cards for him?
- On Thursday, I posed the question about whose appearance would turn heads. For me, I looked no further than Akeem Dent. The second-year LB is in prime position to take over the middle linebacker spot, but I noticed he looked like he had added some muscle. In conversations with media members, the words "best shape of his life" came up several times in reference to Dent. He's definitely looking good.
- 790 The Zone will be broadcasting live from camp from 2-6 p.m. Friday. 680 The Fan will also be broadcasting from camp from 6-10 a.m. and 12-3 p.m.
- In the event of inclement weather, that forces the team to move to the indoor facility during a practice session open to the public, the Falcons don't have the ability to safely accommodate fans inside. Therefore, practice will close for the day. For up-to-the-minute information on weather issues that could interrupt practice:
Crucial Camp Links