The Falcons First Down for Fitness Program, in its fifth year, is a three month program designed to challenge third through seventh grade students throughout the state of Georgia to participate in fitness activities, eat healthy and lead a healthy lifestyle. The program incorporates components of the NFL's Play 60 program, the American Heart Association and the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association's (SUDIA) Fuel Up to Play 60 nutrition program.
The five 2010-2011 Falcons First Down for Fitness Teacher of the Year Winners were selected from out of the 100 teachers that participate in the program. The winners are receiving this honor for their commitment and dedication to the program by finding unique ways to ensure their students engage in physical activity for 60 minutes, five days a week and maintain healthy eating habits. Each winner will receive a $1,000 grant to purchase physical fitness equipment for their school.
The 2010-2011 Falcons First Down for Fitness Teacher of the Year Winners:
- Ed Barrett, Whitesburg Elementary School – Whitesburg, Ga.
- Doug Hutwagner, McClure Middle School – Kennesaw, Ga.
- Janice Johnson, L.J. Price Middle School – Atlanta, Ga.
- Lisa Johnson, Burgess Peterson Elementary School – Atlanta, Ga.
- Lara Norton, Swainsboro Elementary School – Swainsboro, Ga.