Each day of 2012 Russell Athletic Atlanta Falcons Training Camp, we'll take a look ahead at the day of practices and break down the storylines and things you need to know as a fan, including position battles, players to keep an eye on and information on what the Falcons are up to.
Here are today's top things to keep an eye on:
- The Falcons continue 2012 camp with an afternoon practice session, scheduled to run from 3:30-5:50 p.m. The session is open to the public and the Falcons will now start to pick up the pace as they'll start to add pads to their practice sessions this weekend.
- Wide receiver Kevin Cone had a fantastic practice session Friday afternoon. At least, that was the perception in the media box on the sideline. Cone, who is vying with several WRs on the roster for that coveted and final No. 5 wide receiver spot, made a couple of very nice, very acrobatic catches during practice Friday and looked like he was giving the DBs some headaches out there. Keep your eye on this position group as camp wears on — Cone in particular.
- Undrafted free agents are always a big question mark in camp. Most fans aren't sure who they are. Most coaches don't really know what they're getting out of them. That's why camp is a great place and time for those college free agents to prove they belong. Cornerback Peyton Thompson, who was nice enough to give us a video tour of the Falcons' apartments before camp started, had a very nice practice Friday, as well. He seems to have been taken under the wing of veteran Asante Samuel as Samuel urged Thompson to get "cocky, arrogant" after making some big plays during Fridays drills.
- The Falcons are presenting Youth Weekend at camp Saturday and Sunday with tons of activities for kids. Freddie Falcon and some of the Atlanta Falcons Cheerleaders will be on hand, along with games and contests. Click here for more information.
- In the event of inclement weather, that forces the team to move to the indoor facility during a practice session open to the public, the Falcons don't have the ability to safely accommodate fans inside. Therefore, practice will close for the day. For up-to-the-minute information on weather issues that could interrupt practice:
Crucial Camp Links