The Falcons dropped their third preseason game with a 22-10 loss to the New York Jets on Thursday. Although the Falcons have now suffered consecutive preseason losses, there were some key takeaways from the exhibition game.
Offensive line still a priority for Falcons after exhibition game
Matt Ryan made the start in his preseason debut against the New York Jets, but the Falcons offensive line struggled while Ryan was in the game on Thursday night.
Ryan finished the game completing 10 out of 14 passes for 118 yards before being subbed out for Matt Schaub in the second half. Despite having a solid game, Ryan was sacked three times and hurried nine times while behind center. During the off season, Atlanta made it a priority to restructure the offensive line after Ryan was sacked 42 times in 2018. For more on Ryan's first preseason performance, click here.
3 players injured during first half
During the first half of the Falcons-Jets game, three players suffered injuries. Defensive backs Kendall Sheffield, Damontae Kazee and wideout Russell Gage Jr. were each injured and did not return to the game.
In the first quarter, Kazee went down with a rib injury. Sheffield suffered a hamstring injury in the second quarter and Gage was carted off of the field due to a hip injury and did not return to the game. For more on player injuries from the exhibition game, click here.
Ito Smith continues good preseason play
Falcons running back Ito Smith continues to string together a strong preseason with another noteworthy performance on Thursday.
Smith ended the game with five carries for 19 yards and came away with three catches for 45 yards and a touchdown scored in the second quarter. For more on Ito Smith's big night, click here.
Notable performances against the Jets
- Cornerback Desmond Trufant finished the game with five tackles and two pass deflections.
- Defensive lineman Tyeler Davison recorded four tackles.
- Linebacker Jermaine Grace continues to make a stand on defense. Grace ended the night with six tackles.
- Wide receiver Devin Gray and tight end Jaeden Graham each had a big night. Gray came away with three receptions for 45 yards. Graham finished with four receptions for 55 yards.
- No. 2 quarterback Matt Schaub had another strong performance in the exhibition game. Schaub finished the game completing 8 of his 10 passes for 76 yards.
For those who want further analysis of Thursday's preseason game between the Falcons and Jets, check out an archive of our live blog, below.