The 3-9 Falcons travel to Green Bay to face the 5-6 Packers in Week 14. Here are some facts and tidbits about the matchup:
- Sunday’s game marks the 26th meeting between the two NFC clubs with Green Bay holding a 13-12 edge in the all-time series.
- Under head coach Mike Smith, the Falcons have won two of their last three regular season games against he Packers, including a 27-24 victory at Lambeau in 2008.
- Despite losing QB Aaron Rodgers to injury, the Packers passing game continues to be among the NFL’s best. Green Bay averages 285.9 yards per game through the air which ranks sixth in the League.
- Both WR
Roddy Whiteand RB Steven Jacksonseemed to find their rhythm in Week 13 after each missed time due to injury. White caught 10 passes for 143 yards, while Jackson ran 23 times for 84 yards, all season highs.
- Defensively, CB
Desmond Trufantset a franchise record for passes defensed by a rookie with 14 and CB Robert Alfordrecovered a fumble in overtime, which set up Atlanta’s game winning field goal in Week 13.
- WR Roddy White holds the single game high for receiving yards at 132, which he achieved on October 5, 2008.
- In 1997 and 1998, Packers head coach Mike McCarthy was the quarterbacks coach for the Kansas City Chiefs when TE
Tony Gonzalezwas drafted by the club. McCarthy served as the offensive coordinator for the 49ers under Falcons defensive coordinator Mike Nolan in his first season as head coach.
Matt Ryanand Packers DT B.J. Raji were teammates at Boston College, leading the Eagles to a top 10 ranking in 2007.
- Packers QB Aaron Rodgers and Falcons S
Thomas DeCoudplayed together at California.
Matt Bosherand Packers CB Sam Shields were teammates at Miami for three seasons.
Stansly Mapongaand T Marshall Newhouse spent one season together at Texas Christian in 2009.
- Rookie LB
Paul Worrilowhas an active streak of 5 games with 10 tackles.
- So far this season, P Matt Bosher has punted 48 times for 2,206 yards with 17 kicks inside the 20-yard line.
Matt Bryant’s 1,108 career points rank seventh among all active players and he is one of nine active players with 1,000 points.
- TE Tony Gonzalez is the first tight end and seventh player in NFL history to have over 14,500 receiving yards in a career. He needs 14 to pass WR Tim Brown for fifth all time. Gonzalez also has a catch in 207 consecutive games, which is the 2nd longest streak in the NFL. In Gonzalez’s only game against the Packers (10/12/03 with Chiefs) he recorded 4 catches for 121 yards and a touchdown.
Sean Weatherspoonand DT Corey Peterseach had a sack in the last meeting between the two clubs.
- In the past 5 games against the Packers, RB Steven Jackson has 633 scrimmage yards and two touchdowns.
- QB Matt Ryan won only start in Green Bay (10/5/08) and had his first career 2 touchdown pass game.